Experience the Total Solar Eclipse | Genesee County Park
Head to the countryside to view the 2024 Total Solar Eclipse at New York State's first county forest! Join us on Monday, April 8th from 11 AM – 5 PM. Travel the solar system with a day full of hands-on science activities. Bring the family to see the eclipse with a view from a solar filtered telescope and discover the science of this once in a lifetime event.
There will be family friendly, educational, hands-on activities throughout the park and at the Interpretive Nature Center! Join group walks before and after Totality to explore the forest trails and observe how wildlife reacts to this unique experience.
Things to Know:
- Parking fee is $10 per vehicle. Parking availability is limited and will be on a first come, first served basis. Park will be closed after capacity is reached.
- The Park will be open from 11 AM – 5 PM. Activities and programming will begin at 11 AM and continue until 4:30 PM. The park will close and all vehicles must exit by 5PM.
- One-way traffic only in the park for the duration of April 8th. Please enter at the Bethany Center Road Entrance. All vehicles must exit at the Raymond Road exit.
- Restrooms provided at the Interpretive Center. Port-a-johns will be available throughout the park.
- Pavilions and picnic tables are first come, first served.
- Free eclipse solar filtered glasses will be available.
- Lawn seating available - bring a chair or blanket for viewing.
- No food will be sold on site. Please bring your own and remember Genesee County Park & Forest is a carry-in carry-out park!
Date and Time: Monday, April 8th, 11 AM – 5 PM
- 2 – 2:45 pm Eclipse Walk: Join us for a walk as we experience the forest during the Total Solar Eclipse! We’ll leave from the Interpretive Center and return prior to Totality. We’ll explore the trails and observe the behavior of wildlife during this unique time!
- 3:45 – 4:30 Post-Eclipse Walk: After Totality, join us for a walk along the trails at the Genesee County Park. We’ll experience the aftereffects of the Total Solar Eclipse and share our own reactions to the event. All are welcome. Walk will leave from the Interpretive Center.
Location: 11095 Bethany Center Road, East Bethany, NY. Vehicles must use the Bethany Center Road Entrance.
Registration Information: No pre-registration available. Event is first come, first served. If you plan to bring a vehicle larger than 8 passengers, please call ahead to the Interpretive Center by April 1st at 585-344-1122.
Parking availability is limited. Park will be closed after capacity is reached.
- Activity and Accessibility: Easy-active, craft and educational activities. Solar eclipse viewing will require solar filtered eclipse glasses and the ability to look up. TV viewing will be available indoors. The Interpretive Center is wheelchair accessible. Pre- and post- eclipse walks will be along easy hiking trails, uneven surfaces, 1 – 2 miles.
- What to Bring: This program is held indoors and outdoors, bring water and dress comfortably and warm. Bring chairs or blankets if you would like to sit outside. Please bring your own food and remember that Genesee County Park & Forest is a carry-in, carry-out park!